Wednesday 1 June 2011

People in glass houses should probably wear contact lenses...

Now friends and relatives will not know me as a risk taker, but it has been bought to my attention recently that I am being irresponsible and endangering my health. This revelation came about on a trip to a local optician. Needing a spare pair of specs, and not liking any of the frames in my regular place I defected to the premises down the road. I chose a pair of frames and went to select the lenses, and that's when the trouble started. "Right," I said "I don't want plastic, I want glass." 

Now plastic is more usual these days as it is cheaper, lightweight and easier to glaze, particularly with the high density lenses I am forced to have in order not to look like I am peering through pint glass bottoms.  But the problem is, that on the one occasion I had plastic lenses they gave me all sorts of trouble. Unlike glass you cannot bung them under the tap and clean them with a bit of kitchen paper (this scratches them to bits), you need a special cloth, which has to be carried everywhere, and hairspray and perfume stick to plastic and can't be polished out. So back to glass I went.

"We don't recommend glass" said the assistant, attempting to scare me with stories involving (mainly) me crashing my car and all the glass going in my eyes. "I don't know why people want glass lenses, its soo dangerous" said the receptionist to a colleague behind the screen next to me, knowing I could hear her. Next time she walked past I glared at her, thinking uncharitable thoughts like 'I bet she smokes 40 a day.'
 
In the end I explained that as a non-smoking tee-total vegetarian who did no contact sports and hated roller coasters I doubted wearing glasses made of glass (as I have since age 12) was overly dangerous. They tutted and I left the shop.


Back home I planned to start a large still life with a starfish and glass jars, but sadly found all my big boards had been used and I didn't have any more paper stretched. So grabbing the only (small) board I had available, I started a painting of some purple Irises that flowered in my garden a few weeks ago. I never do flowers from photos, but as I had an unusually clear picture, I gave it a go, and was quite pleased with the results.


May ended with one little sale, a mosaic I completed a few months ago, and put into a gallery in Bury. When I dropped it off the owner said "That will sell"  so obviously knows her customers well!

Finally this week the teen has started 'Study Leave'. This basically means they kick them out until 6th form in September, they just go in for GCSE's.  Its a mad policy, as the teen will work diligently at school, but once home can barely be bothered to leave the bed and feed herself toast. Just to exercise her I dragged her into town for a walk. We went back to my original opticians who had some new styles in, chose a couple and arranged for glass lenses to be fitted.  In the opticians the lady apologised as there was no chair for the teen. "Are you joking?" I said, "she has been horizontal for 3 days, I am just getting her used to standing up..."

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Irises, and well done about the mosaic thingy selling. re glasses, I clean my plastic lenses on the nearest thing to hand, well kind of. I like the idea of glass ones though. Adrenalin junkie, me.
    Isn't there some new swanky art gallery in Bury now? I'm sure I read about it somewhere. This years East Anglian branch of the Royal Watercolour Soc exhibition is in Bury somewhere quite soon. My OH will be exhibiting so I shall have a wander around. My teenage daughter is also on study leave. It's all a bit mad coz she's done all her AS level exams except one. But she is revising diligently. . .
    funny post ;-)
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not sure about a new gallery, except the Edmund gallery which opened recently, but it is quite small. Will keep an eye open, and also for the watercolour exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent irises, Michele!

    I always paint flowers from photos, having nightmare memories of the rapidly wilting philadelphus that I had to draw for 'O' level!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I wouldn't recognise a philadelphus if it fell on my head, sounds like soft cheese to me :-o

    I was taught to paint by a botanical artist, and the first rule is paint the flowers first, never mind the leaves or the vase. It's tricky though, even if they dont wilt they can move around a lot following the light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! Really enjoyed it and love your painting and mosaic. Now following you.

    Emma
    http://thebutterflyhobbyist.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete