Friday 15 July 2011

Hollyhocks Done!

The above title should be read in the style of Gordon Ramsay obviously...

 
Just a quick post to show my latest painting. Started at Layer Marney Towers on Art Sunday, I painted the purple, white and dark pink flowers in situ, the leaves, foliage and pale pink flowers were added from photos and reference material, the background and sky came out of my imagination.

Overall I am pleased with it, I have not often managed to do these type of backgrounds successfully, so it was a bit of a risk, but I am (for good or bad) a bit of a risk taker, so after a bit of umming and some aahing I just went for it. It continues on from my last painting of the tree up close with landscape behind, a composition that always interests me. The flowers were more successful for being done from life; and the finished work will be heading for the framers shortly. I am very relieved to have a painting finished, after all the weeks of illustrating, as several exhibitions loom. Just got to do another 10 or so now, onwards and upwards...

4 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful! I love it, and the background/sky are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Michele!

    But I don't know whether it's my age - unfortunately I don't know what you meant by 'in the style of Gordon Ramsay'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, well on one of his shows, Gordon wizzes through a meal preparation in super quick time, and then says, Asparagus Rissotto DONE, or Pears in Wine DONE. So I had this in mind when I finished the painting... Hollyhocks DONE!

    Sad addiction to reality tv DONE :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really lovely and beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete