Wednesday 9 February 2011

Identity crisis


Had to share this hysterical conversation I just had with the tax credits office. After some preamble here’s what happened:

Civil servant tax office bloke:   “You will have to have an appointment with someone at your local office; I can’t help you over the phone”

Me:   “Why? Can’t you just send me a form?”

Civil servant tax office bloke:   “No I am not allowed to send you a form, I cannot verify your identity, I would need to ask you lots of security questions”

Me:    “I don’t mind, go ahead!”

Civil servant tax office bloke:   “I can’t, I don’t have enough information about you”

Me:   “Just look at my old records, you must have tons of information about me”

Civil servant tax office bloke:   “I am not allowed to access your previous information”

Me:    “Because?”

Civil servant tax office bloke:   “The computer won’t let me access that information until I verify your identity, and I cannot verify your identity”

(This I would add was after I had given him my National insurance number, date of birth, current and previous addresses and partner’s name.)

These are the people who run our government departments… be afraid, be very afraid.


2 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy! I've had numerous frustrating circular conversations with various people about my telephone package. Eventually I wrote a letter to the Chief Exec. hoping to get a letter in return. But no, they are not able to write letters - apart from the stack of unsolicited ones I've received over the past year or so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Michele, just read your blog, very much identify with all this, I also trying to sell on Folksy & have teenage son on spurious GCSE "study leave". The Glass Eye

    ReplyDelete